BDP Wins £26m Cardiff & Vale College City Campus Design Job
Building Design Projects Ltd has won the competition to design the 16,000 sq m Cardiff City Centre Community Campus for Cardiff and Vale College. The college is one of the largest in Wales serving Cardiff and the Vale of Glamorgan and this project brings together many of its activities onto a single campus in the heart of the city.
The design will create a real life environment for skills training. Open and welcoming faculty clusters are set around a public route through the heart of the college. The building’s distinctive wedge shape means interior spaces are connected to south facing terraces with views towards Cardiff Bay. The over-sailing roof is angled to accommodate a 1,850 sq m photovoltaic array, and the fine dining sky restaurant is located under the northernmost tip with views across the city towards the Millennium Stadium.
BDP is appointed as architect, interior designer and landscape architect for the £26m building which is programmed to start on site in August this year with completion in April 2015. The client is Rightacres Property Co.Cardiff and Vale’s new campus is part of a broader plan of long-term investment, which currently involves five colleges:
- Cardiff & Vale – City Centre Community Campus - £40m
- Coleg Ceredigion – Transformation Technology Centre – (Cardigan campus) - £3m
- Coleg Llandrillo – Dolgellau Skills centre - £4.5m
- Coleg Llandrillo – University Centre in partnership with Bangor University - £5m
- Yale College – Transforming Post 16 education in North East Wales - £8.5m