Newport City £100m Friars Walk Regeneration Development

Friday, 20th April 2012
    Debenhams has been confirmed as the flagship store for a multimillion-pound shopping revamp which civic leaders hope will help to revive Newport. The 93,000 sq ft store will be part of the Friars Walk development in John Frost Square, which received planning permission last month. Developer Queensberry Real Estate said the £100m plan would act as a catalyst to regenerate the city.     Debenhams is expected to open in autumn 2015. Existing buildings in John Frost Square area will be demolished to create the store, along with 35 shop units, an eight-screen cinema and up to 10 restaurants and cafes. A new bus station and a 360-space car park are also part of the project and building work is expected to begin next year.     Gareth Dougherty, Debenhams' acquisitions manager, said the city had been a priority for the company because it was one of the largest UK cities without one of its store. "The development will give us the opportunity to bring the Debenhams brand and its designers to Newport," he said.     "It is recognition of the huge potential of a revitalised Newport," said Queensberry commercial partner Stuart Harris. "We are now in the process of agreeing terms with other major retailers who have also recognised the innovative approach of the city council and ourselves," he added.     Bill Mayne, chairman of urban regeneration company Newport Unlimited, said: "It is an incredibly important demonstration of the commitment of such a key retailer to the city's future... I am confident that we will hear further positive announcements in the near future."     Tracey Lee, managing director of Newport City Council, said the store had been on Newport's "wish list" for many years. "We are delighted that the company believes the city is a good location for its business," she said.